Are you a beginner in the world of social media marketing? Wondering where to start and how to leverage social media for your business needs?
With new platforms, tools and technologies appearing on the social media landscape every day, it can feel overwhelming. While, there is no one way to utilize social media channels, here is a 10-step approach, which can help you get started.
- Define Your Goals: Think about your goal. Ask yourself if your goal is to create brand awareness or brand education, or is it building your thought leadership? Identifying your goals is the key to creating a successful social media strategy.
- Identify Appropriate Social Media Channels: Seriously, you don’t have to be on every social media channel. Instead, make a smart choice, and choose the ones that best suit your goals, business, and industry. Consider analyzing your industry and competitors to understand where your audience is and which channels are critical for your business.
- Develop KPIs: Think about how you would measure the success of your campaigns. Some metrics that you can look at include follower growth, fans, impressions, engagements, reach, page views, retweets, likes, video views, etc.
- Create a Content Calendar: Keep it simple. Utilize Google Sheets, or even Excel to create and maintain a calendar. The idea is to stay organized and ensure a regular flow of content and map your social media content strategy to your overall business objectives. As your team grows, you can invest in more sophisticated content planning tools such as Airtable and DivvyHQ
- Sign Up For Social Media Management Tools: Social media management tools such as Hootsuite, SproutSocial, Buffer, Zoho Social can help you automate the scheduling, reviewing and approval process for you. If you are on a budget, check out The 7 Best Free Social Media Management Tools in 2019.
- Think About Graphics: There is a lot of research out there that shows how important graphics are to build and engage your audience. The good thing is there are tools like Canva that allow you to create excellent graphics for free.
- Video is The King: Add videos to your social media strategy. Utilize features such as LinkedIn Live or native videos, Facebook Live videos, or IGTV on Instagram. You can also explore tools like Adobe Spark Post that allow you to convert a photo into video, and are reasonably intuitive.
- Create Ephemeral Content: Stories are everywhere and a great way to engage with your audience. You can utilize stories to create buzz around a product launch or to provide a sneak peek of an event or for recruiting purposes. The possibilities are endless.
- Make Content Shareable: Add social media buttons to your website to make sharing your content fast and easy for your visitors.
- Incorporate Social Listening: Social listening is becoming increasingly for brands big and small to stay on top of their customers’ pulse. Most social media management tools listed above offer listening capabilities that help you capture what your audience is saying about your brand and even your competitors. Read my blog discussing the importance of social listening here.
What are some of the other strategies that you think can help beginners get started? Please share in the comments section.